How to Optimize Your Images with WP Smush and Its Alternatives
A slow website is a serious problem for any website owner, and images can be one of the factors causing this slow motion. Therefore, you need to optimize all your images to solve the problem, and this can be done using many WordPress plugins like WP Smush.
Smush is one of the top plugins that help you optimize your images. Here, we will discuss how it works as well as its cons, pros, and alternatives.
What is WP Smush?
In general, WP Smush can be defined as a plugin that can be installed on your WordPress to optimize your images without losing their quality.
Pros of using Smush in your WordPress
Smush is a great plugin for your WordPress. It has a lot of pros like:
- It is easy to use. You don’t have any technical knowledge to optimize your images.
- It works fast as your images are optimized once uploaded to your WordPress website.
- Smush can also optimize your older images. (Open the WordPress dashboard, go to Media, and select WP Smush to bulk smush. Here, you can smooch up to 50 images at a time.
Actually, it is really a good plugin for beginners to optimize their images and improve the speed of their website. Thus, they will improve the performance of the website
Cons of WP Smush
In addition to its pros, the Smush plugin also has some cons:
- The Smush plugin reduces the size of the image by 10-20% of its original size. Thus, if your image is 4 MB and you wanna optimize it with Smush, it will become
- You can’t control how much Smush will reduce the size of your images as it follows specific metrics.
Although it may look like the best plugin for beginners looking for a fast and easy way to optimize their images, you may need more professional methods by the time your website becomes more active.
Notice that the best performance of your website will be achieved by working on many conditions, and optimizing your images is just one of them.
WP Smush Alternatives
If you are not convinced to use Smush, you still have some great alternatives for optimizing your images. These 2 alternative plugins are also used with WordPress to optimize the images of your website, but they also provide extra control of the optimization process. This may be what you need to get images with smaller sizes.
EWWW Image Optimizer
EWWW Image Optimizer is also a good plugin used with WordPress to optimize the images which you upload on your website. This plugin optimizes new images as well as old ones.
What you will love about this plugin is the ability to convert file format
Thus, you can choose a format with a smaller file size and use it on your website.
What everyone likes about Imsanity is the bulk resize. This WordPress plugin helps you set a default size and change your old images to this size together.
As shown in the image above, you can choose a size for all your jpeg images. You can also convert all your photos to JPEG automatically.